Thursday, June 19, 2014

How to pound out a Wraithknight in 10 hours....Gee some accomplishment huh...

If you suck at painting like I do then maybe this can help you. Obviously I did this with a brush. Suck it airbrush people. I know you're faster and better. However I would beat your ass in a fight. I literally have zero proof to support that last statement. Anyways I have a game day coming up this Saturday so I needed to get it done. I plan on running a heavy Iyanden style army and I had this one WK sitting on the shelf for months.


See the last one painted took me like 20 hours over 2 weeks. Major pain in the ass. This time I don't have this kind of time. I needed to bang it out. Now I have 3 kids and a beautiful GF, so dedicated painting time can be a SOB to get. Once again I had to get this fucker done. The gods would smile on me because my boys would have soccer camp this week. I had 4 nights kid less to get it done.


So I primed the WK months ago. Like right after I built it. Because don't want to be an asshole who plays with grey armies right??? Yeah cuz a matte black army shows real skill and class...
Anyways it was the suncannon/shield build version. So Monday night I lifted weights for an hour and got to painting. 3.5 hours later I had this...


 
 
Base coat, initial wash, drybrush and base on yellow done. Here is a shortcut I learned. I only did one coat with the Sotek Green. Normally I always do two. In this case I said to myself "self hurry your ass up". So after the base coat I washed it with nightshade and then dry brushed Sotek Green over that. I made sure to stay out of the recesses and it worked!!! Holy shit. New flash. Then I dry brushed some Skink Blue over that. The yellow on the shoulder pads was XV-88 as a base then Yriel Yellow on top. Like 4 coats god damn I hate yellow... You also see some grey. I use that as a base for Ceramite White.
 

Then I started the fine tuning on Tuesday. I needed to finish the weapons and get the little shit knocked out. I only got about 2 hours this night I still made solid progress. I used Auric Gold and Copper Bell on the Suncannon. Then washed them both with Fuegen Orange. OK that's a lie I used Nuln Oil first. Good call me... the copper looked brown and the gold looked green. Stupid me I knew better. So a quick recoat of colors and then the right wash. I wasn't blown away but it looked solid. Also Saturday was fast approaching so fuck it. The white went on like a champ and I dropped a little Nuln Oil in the crevasses. Looked solid to me.





Then last night I texted Kyle "almost done about a half hour to go". This was at 5:30.... so at 9:30ish I had this...Ohh yeah the fucking base yeah that thing shit....Look at it the god damn base was bare!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Just when I thought it was all almost done. Nope time to get creative. Well as creative as I can get.

So I got to work finishing up the small stuff doing the highlighting, putting a base together, touch up, blah blah blah... You know all the tedious shit you hate when your painting. You see the light at the end of the tunnel, you realize it was just a light on the wall. Keep painting asshole.

So here is what happened. I got it done Wednesday night about 9:40ish...OK I just doubled checked my text time stamp it was 10:10 PM... Half an hour I said right? RIGHT?? RIGHT?? Fuck. So here what the finished product looks like.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pretty solid huh?
Fuck I'm good!!!
Look at that base. From soup to nuts. What's that even mean?





 
 

 
Brothers in arms. Not like in a gay way, not that there is anything wrong with that... I'm gonna stop typing..
 
So That's how to paint a WK in 10 hours. I didn't say I had a secret or that I'm better then you. Just my story. Side note Saturday is Martin's game day and fuck I am excited. Beyond pumped. I got two great missions done that should be wicked fun. I will have an extensive bat rep listing from that day. Shit I got to finish the warlord experience table... God damn it!!!! ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!

See you around the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment