Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Teaching a NEWB!!

So recently a guy who lives close to me hit me up on dakka when I was still active there. Yes I'm past that nonsense now. Anyways he messaged me and seemed like a nice guy. I figured why not? What's the harm in helping a guy? Well this has been going on for a few months and here are some lessons I have learned.

1. The internet community can be amazingly helpful or painfully nasty to NEWBS. Sadly a Bing search will often reveal the worst of internet forums when searching for a "40k forum/help". Places like dakka, warseer, BOLS the list goes on.

2. You are teaching them more then a rule set. You are teaching them etiquette as well. You never know where they will go off and play. Hopefully they will obey the "social contract" we all take. Its more then that though. Its not gloating or excessive shit talking. Its not teaching that its always a WAAC situation. There is a time and place for uber competitive.

 
This was me teaching him about WAAC. You can't see the 2 Hornets on the left...
He wanted to face a strong list after beating me 4 times in a row.


3. None of us "know everything" no matter how experienced we are. He often asked me questions that sometimes I thought "You're an idiot". Other times he'd ask me stuff, I'd stammer and think "I'm embarrassed I never thought of that before, its brilliant".

4. When they first start playing you have to be prepared to take some losses. You cannot beat the snot out of him/her repeatedly and expect them to love the game. They need to know victory and how awesome it can feel. It comes at your expense sometimes. That's ok though. Remember you are teaching more then a rule set.

5. Don't forget to teach tactics. Teach rules, show cool ways to paint, offer up great things to read but by god man show them HOW TO WIN. Show them when to claim objectives, when to defer the first turn, how to lock a great unit in combat rendering them worthless and how to build a list for all occasions.

6. Understand that what they love about it may not be what you love about it. The guy I teaching the game loves painting and playing. Could care less about the fluff. He isn't a reader. This is ok. Not everyone needs to read all 28 Horus Heresy novels to be allowed "permission" to play.

7. Don't rush them into buying too much to soon. Nothing is more discouraging then having 7000 points of Eldar to paint (I'd know). Let them go at their pace. We have been playing 750-1000 point games. I personally prefer 2250 and higher but this is what's right for him.

8. Encourage them to paint. I mean encourage! Show them cool paint jobs. Show them tricks. Whatever you do encourage them to not play with grey armies. I'm lucky the guy I am teaching really enjoys painting. Makes it easy for me.

9. Be flexible. Everything I just wrote may not apply to your NEWB/NEWBETTE. Have an open mind and understand they are looking at something that way be overwhelming to them. Maybe though they have an extensive gaming background so that isn't the case. It will all depend.

10. If you've seen Glengarry Glen Ross you will know ABC. Always Be Closing. Well for NEWBS you'll need to be ABP. Always Be Positive. This is a special thing we have. Don't be a fucking asshat and teach a new person that they should expect people in the hobby to all be jackasses. Don't be that guy!!

Lastly I love my girlfriend immensely Her patience and tolerance for my hobby is saintly. She really is special that she doesn't look down on me for my hobby or feel embarrassed by it. She's the best. Love you Cath!

No comments:

Post a Comment