Saturday, May 17, 2014

Forging a Narrative

So my buddy Kyle and I have recently started playing a campaign between us. I have come up with a premise for a theme/story of why these battles are happening. Then I have started developing missions based on this story. I will come up with a mission premise and then forward it to Kyle to get his input.
I must tell you its by far the most fun I've had playing 40k. We have just finished our 3rd mission/battle of the campaign two nights ago. As it stands the campaign record is 1-1-1. The first match was a draw. I had almost tabled Kyle but he far surpassed me in VP. The 2nd game I handily won due to an error on my part. The third game he came roaring back and handed me a sound asswhipping. So here are some things I've picked up on since starting this.

Our most recent table layout. This mission focused on me fleeing the table and Kyle shooting me in the ass while I ran screaming like a 8 year old...
 
Mission 2 table layout. It was a city fight that rewarded assaulting the enemy. Wow how'd that empty beer get there. Kyle is a drunk.... Wait that was my side...


1. Do not feel contained. Make up your own rules and go with it. Adjust the FOC, make weird limitations, make the entire game night fighting, be creative with objectives and don't worry if it isn't always fair.... I mean that.

2. The story shapes the missions and the mission outcomes shape the story. I know this is basic stuff here right but maybe you don't have the RPG background I do. Maybe you are afraid to make the campaign "yours". Put your stamp on that bitch. Be creative. Make the narrative shine. I know for myself I got into this game for the fluff and creative outlet it offers me. I am taking full advantage of this.

We here so much about "Forge the Narrative" but how many of us are doing it? I know the 6 book missions are solid but terribly basic. They do not lend themselves to my imagination. They did not offer me enough. So we made it ours. We said "why not?" Conventional wisdom says campaigns need more then 2. Well no they are perfectly fine with just two. 
So go out and forge it. You thank yourself later.

No comments:

Post a Comment