Thursday, June 26, 2014

Master Craft Game Day

So this last Saturday I got the privilege of playing in my friend Martin's (you say it in your head to huh the tv show intro I know you do) game day. I got to meet like 6 new people who play. It was a cool experience. Most everyone was new to the game with the exception of Martin, Myself, Kyle and another cat Jared. Martin took the time to book a little community center for us all that would accommodate bad language, dork talk of all manner and our foul gamer farts. I know what a cool place. It was a fucking church... with no pews. Don't ask I don't understand.

So it was really fucking far from my house in Steubenville, Oh. Yes I live there, you know where, that place where the football team rapes a girl... and its her fault. In the football teams defense she kind of had it coming.... I actually heard that from a PARENT. IN FRONT OF THE HIGH SCHOOL, AS WE PICKED UP OUR 5-10 YEAR OLD CHILDREN. Did I digress? My bad. Anyways so it was far. No biggie my favorite local gaming store is far too. Legion Hobbies and Games, Old Perry Highway Pittsburgh, Pa shameless plug.

So I show up about 25 minutes late because backwoods country traffic and my snooty Honda Hybrid don't agree with each other. Actually I have 3 kids I'm late to everything. Martin already had 4 tables set up and I had some cool missions already made. We spent about a 1 hour playing Jewish geography and lobbing dork questions at one another to get a feel for each other. Everyone seemed cool. Even Jared who I had a FB argument with about a mission I designed. Yes grown men arguing about mission for plastic men. I know I real mature, huh, Caleb. So we apologized to each other, shook hands and gave each other hand jobs to make it ok. That isn't entirely true. I didn't apologize.... I'm hilarious.

So I took a mostly Iyanden style Eldar list at the 3 point levels we all agreed on. It was 4 squads of Wraithguard in Wave Serpents (2 with D-Scythes), 2 Wraithknights (1 stock, 1 with suncannon/SL) a Farseer, 2 Spiritseers and 4 Hornets. I thought it was pretty solid without being over the top. Understated slightly. It was a MEQ rape list. I had to call the local sheriffs after my first game. I am now registered on several "sex offender" lists because of what I did.


 
Sexy I know...


So my first game was against Bob. He was playing Dark Angels and a Imperial Knight. I thought the IK would keep him viable. Not the case. We stopped it after the top of the second turn. I went first and preceded to wreck his whirlwind, 3 rhinos and kill some bikers turn 1. His turn he wrecked a Wave Serpent. Turn 2 I killed the IK, the remaining bikers and was poised to eradicate this 2 remaining tact units and terminators. It wasn't even lucky or unlucky rolling it was just the hardest counter to a MEQ list I could have brought. The Wraithguard with D-Scythes erase units. Like they never existed. One 2 man squad of Hornets outflanked and lit up his IK. Eight S8 AP2 shots from the side/rear with no cover available. Yeah.... I'm sorry.

I did actually feel bad. It would be Bob's only game that day. He had to leave early, so I'm a jerk. So we had time to kill and I watched Kyle's game and then these two new guys Will and Brian's game. 2000 point game for beginners took 5 hours. It was a ragtag Eldar list against, wait, its the biggest jerk move ever, 3 fucking monoliths. I know you're thinking, "Monoliths aren't all that" and I agree but when you are playing someone with the following list it is. Harlequins, Wraithblades, Firedragons, 1 Falcon, Wraithguard with D-Scythes, and some Warp Spiders. In Martin's defense he had no clue that matchup would go down but I renamed him to Martin T.F.G. White after that.

 
2 of 3 Monoliths... The other would deep strike in later... Martin is a jerk!


Kyle had a tight game of his Dark Eldar against Tau where he lost on points but the other guy had 2 models remaining. Jink is bad hmmm kay... He can jink, save his transport and then open fire with the models inside the open top transports. He seemed shocked how good it was.

My second game was a scorcher against Jared. He played a Tau list with 2 riptides, 2 broadsides, a truckload of crisis suits, a bunch of kroot and the markerlight shooter guys. We played a custom mission that was basically static objectives and FOC slot kill points. Vanguard strike, he deployed first, me second, he went to go first and I stole the initiative.... Ohhh shit!!!

Actually it was a close game. I started hot and jumped to a early lead (model wise). I then made some poor choices with Wave Serpents and suffered some losses. I also kept charging my Wraithknight into combat and almost lost him to overwatch. Basically I was trying to bully him and it was backfiring. He played solid and kept his eye on the prize and we ended it in the bottom of turn 5. I was up 7-5 and he couldn't come back for a victory. I had eradicated all his troops while 3 of 4 of mine were in prime scoring position. It was a good game. No one had hot or cold dice. Also no one did anything tactically that was so poor it cost them the game.













Overall it was a good little get together. I was pleased. Everyone was pleasant except myself because I'm a fucking jerk. I think everyone had fun and I look forward to doing it again. The highlight of the day was the last game between Kyle and Tim. Blood Angels against Tau. I didn't see it all but it was quoted as "the funnest game of 40k ever played". Now I am already back to painting Minotaurs for my Beastmen I want to do a demo WFB game at the next get together and Beastmen are so pretty painted.



Check out Martin's FB group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/281421265369805/

See you around the way....




No comments:

Post a Comment